Mercury, O Mercury!
Like being inside a magician’s cabinet. That’s the thought I took with me this week after leaving Mercury Design Studio. The window displays are a clever mix of wearable objects, ceramics and taxonomy, but it’s after passing through its front doors that you are transported. Peering into the nooks and wandering its paths you are drawn in deeper. Each display or object your eye rests on is as exciting and riveting as the next, and when you (eventually) exit, it’s with a feeling of fullness.
Here true vintage gems live in the now surrounded by fine textiles and sumptuously scented candles. John Derian decoupage pieces are watched from above by birds perched on wood-paneled walls. A table is laid out with jewelry, one with entertaining curiosities, another with finely made objects for your bath. It all sends a message: telling the story of bold imagination and living well in the present, surrounded by beauty and wonder. It’s also my absolute favorite Austin store where I go to be inspired, see brilliant design and to gift thoughtfully.
Some of the treasures I admired during this week’s adventure:
- Leather Venetian zipper pouches displayed in all of their candy-colored splendor, embossed with 24 carat gold
- Morse code necklaces with their gold dots and dashes suspended on silk cords
- A pair of white upholstered chairs with seats covered in a Mexican blanket fabric
- Clear glass salt and pepper shakers in the shape of mice!
- Gorgeous art lining the walls, but especially the portraits which lend immedate richness to a space
- Bright poufs made of woven plastic in the happiest colors that scream summertime
- Butters, the store mascot and all-round adorable dog
Co-Owner Steve Shuck curates this gem of a shop, from all over, and visually it’s very much his handiwork. Thank you for letting me step into your cabinet of wonders!
WHEN: 11AM – 6PM Everyday
WHERE: 209 West 2nd Street Austin, Texas 78701, P – 512.236.0100